Adding an Electric Start Engine After Serial Number 34626
USA After motor number VSE1M*34627* w/new stator
New engine with new stator plate: Below is a link to a .pdf file showing the way to splice the new motor and the electric start function together with the old USA P200 wiring loom. Click the image below to download the diagram.
(1) Replace the rectifier/regulator with the new model from a PX200 electric start. The rectifier/regulator is located behind the battery tray under the left hand side cowl. Remove the spare tire, if fitted, by removing the two 13mm nuts at the top, and the single 14mm bolt which holds a plastic cover to the bottom portion of the spare tire. Remove the wires to the battery and remove the battery by uncliping the rubber strap. Lastly remove the battery tray by unscrewing it from the frame.
(2) You will now be able to see the rectifier/regulator with two purple wires, one gray wire, a yellow wire , and a black ground wire connected to the contacts. Unplug them all and unscrew the regulator from the frame. Keep this part as it is expensive and since you know the one you removed works, it could be valuable in the future or on another bike.
(1) You now need to splice into the gray wire which is the "switched power wire". This means that once the headset key is turned to the on position 12V runs along this wire. We need to tap into the source to get power to the relay.
(2) The easiest way to do this is to cut off the spade connector that connects to the rectifier/regulator from the end of the gray wire and strip off about 1/4" of insultation to expose the copper inside. Do the same to the 6' length of gray colored wire and twist them together. Once twisted get a new spade connector and crimp it to the twisted end.
(3) Plug in the existing wires to the new rectifier as follows:
(4) Once all this is correctly plugged in, attach the new regulator/rectifier to the frame.
(5) Once all this is correctly plugged in, re-attach the regulator/rectifier to the frame. One of the screws needs to pass through the center of the black bolt through connector you made, to connect it to the frame (ground).
(6) Push the end of the 6' gray wire into the grommet in the frame where all the other wires end up. You will need to get inside the frame later to pull this wire through.
The rest of these steps are the same for all P series bikes so I have included them on a singele page here.